Well, I have news. Which do you want first: the good, the bad, or the ugly?
I’ll give you the good news first: the baby is moving around so much that the nurse couldn’t get the baby monitor to pick up the heartbeat for a little while. The heart rate is anywhere from 130 to 150 — how’s that for giving no clue about gender?!
Here’s the b-a-d news. It’s not really bad, it’s just a development of sorts. I spent another evening in triage today. My blood pressure was 149/80 at the doctor’s office, so they called triage at the hospital and sent me on my way. I spent four hours there, had labs drawn and a urine specimen sent, and settled in to the extremely uncomfortable stretcher to await my results. (Oh, I also drank the glucose syrup — think flat 7-Up — to make sure I don’t have gestational diabetes, so they drew those labs too. It’s a normal thing they test for around week 29-30.) My bloodwork came back normal again, but my urine protein/creatinine ratio was elevated. Protein and creatinine are two things the kidneys excrete as a normal part of their function. When the ratio between them is elevated it is a sign of preeclampsia. If the level is greater than 300, it is a definitive diagnosis of preeclampsia. If it is between 200 and 300, then a further urine test has to be done. My value was 280. Niiiiice. So now I have to save all of my pee for 24 hours — it’s called a 24 hour urine collection for protein.
Here’s what’ll happen: For exactly 24 hours, I will pee into a little bucket called a hat, then pour that into a larger container, which has to be kept chilled. Then I will take the container into the lab on Wednesday morning so they can do whatever it is they do to run the tests. Then I will go to the doctor’s office, find out the results and go from there.
Doesn’t that sound like fun?!? [cough *not really* cough]
I have been restricted from working anymore until the baby is born, too. This does not mean strict bed rest, where I have to literally lie around all day. I don’t know exactly what the doctor is thinking “activity restriction” means, since I didn’t get a chance to talk with her today. I will ask about that on Wednesday when I go in for my follow-up appointment. My biggest concern is that I can finish out my semester of classes. It would be a bummer to have gotten so close to the end of the semester and have to take incompletes or something. Rob is confident that the doctor will let me continue. We’ll see on Wednesday.
As for the ugly: my ankles are still a little swollen. I can’t wear my black Danskos, so my feet are big too. Eww.
So. That’s the new and exciting development in the Pregnant Life of Me. I’d take less drama any day, thank you.