So this morning, the MFM fellow came in to talk about the plan. I told him that, one way or another, a decision had to be made today whether I stay or go home, because I can’t live in limbo anymore. He agreed that that could happen today and talked with me a little bit, then left to make some phone calls. So here’s the plan:
I am staying in the hospital until delivery. It came down to the fact that the general OB team didn’t want to manage me as an outpatient. Although it’s not what I would have chosen for myself, I am thrilled that a decision has been reached so I can focus my energy on low Zen blood pressures and not wonder every day if I get to go home. Rob feels the same way — he’s disappointed, but glad to have a plan.
I will continue to have my BPs monitored every four hours. If and when they start to become mostly 160’s on top, then I will start BP medications to give me more time until delivery. The doctor today guessed that in the next week and a half to two weeks, I will have to start on meds. Then those should hold me for a little longer. My goal is to get to 34 weeks and then have the baby. No matter what, the baby will be born at 34 weeks. It’s the safest thing for me, and the baby will be mature enough to handle the outside world. Also, I got the steroid shots to help mature the baby’s lungs and preeclampsia seems to accelerate the maturity of baby’s lungs anyway. Plus, the baby is sumo-sized, so s/he’s got that going for her/him. I will continue to have nonstress tests every day (so annoying to have them, but necessary, I guess) and ultrasounds every Wednesday and Saturday to make sure the baby is continuing to tolerate my condition. So far, Baby has passed every test with flying colors. My bloodwork will be checked every few days to make sure it continues to be stable.
I have withdrawn from my classes for this semester. My focus needs to be on staying in my Zen place, plus I am just not able to do my best work while in the hospital. I am waiting for a call back from my advisor as to how to work it all out, but so far have heard back from one class that it will be just fine. I will need to finish the requirements within a year. I can totally do that.
So. I feel so much better knowing what my job is for the next four weeks. I can do anything for four weeks! Please keep your fingers and toes crossed for continued low BPs and continued sanity for Rob and me.
P.S. Does anyone want to babysit a dog for a month? 🙂